Thursday, December 1, 2011

My life in Korea!


Hi all :) So here is a sneak peek into my wild ride of a life in Korea.  I have had a wonderful first three weeks.  I am adjusting more and more each day and this is definitely becoming a new normal.  My apartment is super cute and I was fortunate enough to have TWO rooms instead of one, and a FULL bed instead of a twin.  Double WIN! Seoul is amazingly energy efficient so in the building we have only motion censored lights that go on and off as you come and go.  I use a 4 digit code to get into my building, as well as a personal code to get into my apartment.  No keys involved, thank goodness. For those of you who know my experience with keys!  Work is only a short 10 minute walk from home.  I work from 9:45am until 6:10 each day with an hour lunch. I teach Kindergarten class in the morning to 12 adorable little ones, we have a lot of fun.  Then I have afternoon classes with older elementary aged students.  
There are 12 other foreign teachers in my school, so I walked into a wonderful group of new friends.  
Waking up on Thanksgiving morning alone was a little surreal.  But I am feeling the love from halfway around the world and here in Korea.  On Friday night, my coworkers and I had a wonderful thanksgiving dinner.  It was so much fun.  Of course as one of the southerners,  I brought sweet tea and macaroni and cheese.  It was lots of fun and felt like the perfect Thanksgiving away from home.
I will never be able to express to my family and friends how much I appreciated them encouraging me to do this and seeing more in me than I saw in myself.  Its been an unreal journey.  As with everything not all is perfect, but it's pretty darn close!  I have already learned so much about myself, others and realized that I can really do anything :).  My life in Atlanta is wonderful, but life abroad is something you should never miss out on. 
Thanks for sharing this journey with me. If you have questions or pictures you'd like to see, I'm happy to take special  requests!
XOXO
My new home #202

Magic keypad with secret code

Main entrance
My fancy building
My bed that was hard as rocks.  A little better now with a mattress pad (Korean term: yo) and an egg crate.
A wall of closets and storage!
fancy wallpaper
Lady liberty was ready to welcome me!
Every month there is a party for the children who had birthdays in that month.  This is a picture of my class and I celebrating this past week. 
This is my Korean co-teacher Lucy.  I am so lucky to have her :)
Thanks Katherine ;)

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I laughed really hard about the keys. No more finding keys on the hook in the shower! I want to see pics of your older kids too...and the amazing food you are eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read that all is going well. Missed the Atlanta Ashworths for T-Day. Ilse did fine. Bucky has a hair cut and Amy wanted to take him back to PA. No Way!! We are well and think of you, wishing you adventure and happiness. Love, Aunt Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, I loved reading your post! It sounds like an incredible opportunity and I am so happy you are enjoying it. The kids look awesome and it sounds like you're adjusting to the culture well. Looking forward to more blog posts! - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! I want to see pictures of local markets or groceries. But mostly I want to see more pictures of you! XO your favorite Vigilante

    ReplyDelete